I’d picked up a pi a few months back thinking it would be a fun little weekend project. After setting it up, setting a static IP, and setting up ssh on my phone, I forgot all about it. Fast forward a few months, and surprise, I couldn’t remember my password (I’d changed from default and of course didn’t write it down). I’ve forgotten linux passwords in the past. That usually required doing some fancy stuff at boot time, hacking around to reset the password that way, but the Pi doesn’t seem to work that way.
After getting pissed off again trying to work my way through front end (Angular 4…) training the last two days, I finally reached my breaking point and rage quit. Not having any fun, need to take a break and do something that’s actually interesting/enjoyable for me. So I decided that I’d go ahead and work on one of the Python courses I’d also previously picked up. All was well until I hit a point where 1: I needed to install the cv3 image processing; and 2: using global packages with virtualenv.
I’ll be honest, I’ve actually never had any sort of training when it comes to front end development. I fumbled around with it when I was a kid many many years ago, and then in college moved straight into C, C++, Java, and then finally Python in the workplace. But it’s always been an interest of mine (part of the reason this site exists). So I’ve been slowly taking an online course to try to finally get stuff nailed down.
Prior to stepping into learning MEAN stack and taking a few extra front end specific online courses, I had been playing around with setting up sanity tests for the Twitch.tv API. Tonight I wanted to circle back around to it again and see what I could get done with it. Fist thing I did was head to the documentation… only to find that everything had changed… again. They’re calling this their big update that they’re moving towards from here on out, with things being more “streamlined” and “professional”.
I’ve been sick all weekend so I didn’t have as much energy to spend on learning as I had wanted to. At the very least I was interested in seeing if I couldn’t get the paging system to work, so I decided I’d spend what little remaining time I have this weekend playing around with it. Paging All of the changes that I made to get paging working were based on the documentation on jekyll’s site.
Spent some more time this morning trying to figure out Jekyll. I’m not sure why they try so hard to hide the functionality from the user. Maybe I’m just bad at reading the documentation… Here are a few things I wish I had known up front before getting started with everyting: Themes define your site Yesterday I was trying to figure out where the html/css files were for the page and how I could make changes to them.
Boy this sure took longer than I expected to, also incredibly confusing for how simple it actually is. In order to get this stood up, I followed along with the instructions detailed on this blog post here. In order to get things working, I had to get ruby updated first, which proved to be a task in and of itself. Having no background in ruby other than needing it for homebrew, I wasn’t even away of how to upgrade it.